TREE believes that the revolution lies with our youth; we also recognize the economic barriers than can keep our youth from actualizing their full potential. We have compiled a list of scholarships for which you should apply.
Scholarships and Financial Aid for Minorities
AffordableColleges.com has a list of scholarships and financial aid for minorities! From National Black MBA Association to National Society of Black Engineers, from Asian Pacific Islander to Native American, you will certainly be able to find a scholarship and fit the criteria!
Key Thinkers Scholarship
The Key Thinkers Scholarship awards academically qualified students with a $2,500 USD Scholarship to one eligible recipient once every academic term (coinciding with the application schedule above), to one eligible recipient. There will be a total of four (4) Recipients of the Scholarship per academic year. The sponsor (“MoneyKey”) offers the Scholarship to post-secondary students who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement. This is an opportunity for students to be a voice in the growing conversation about financial responsibility.
Key Thinkers Scholarship applicants shall submit an essay responding to the following question:
What does financial responsibility mean to you and what steps should students take to plan their budget?
The essay must be in English.
The essay must be a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 750 words.
The essay content must be original and not infringe on any third-party rights, including but not limited to, copyright or trademarks.
The essay submission must not contain any foul or hateful language.
Any existing college student attending college or university as a full-time student can apply for this scholarship.
Academic Term Application deadline
Fall 30th September, 2017
Winter 31st December, 2017
Spring 31st March, 2018
Summer 30th June, 2018
Youth Advocates scholarships and awards
Youth environmental change leaders ages 13 to 22 who are recipients of the Brower Youth Awards will receive a $3,000 cash prize, a professionally produced short film about their work from an Emmy award winning film crew, and flight and lodging accommodations for a week long trip to the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Each year, the Live Deliberately Essay Contest invites youth ages 14-21 from around the world to respond to a selected quotation from Henry David Thoreau, reflecting on how his words and ideas are still alive and relevant in their lives and in the world. The 2016-2017 Contest will have three age groups: 14-16, 17-18, and 19-21. One winner will be identified in each age group and will receive a $250 cash prize, plus an autographed special edition of Walden. Essays may also be selected to receive Honorable Mention in each age group, which will be awarded with an autographed special edition of Walden. https://www.walden.org/education/essay-contest/
- The President’s Environmental Youth Award (PEYA) recognizes outstanding environmental projects by K-12 youth. The PEYA program promotes awareness of our nation’s natural resources and encourages positive community involvement. Since 1971, the President of the United States has joined with EPA to recognize young people for protecting our nation’s air, water, land, and ecology. It is one of the most important ways EPA and the Administration demonstrate commitment to environmental stewardship efforts created and conducted by our nation’s youth. https://www.epa.gov/education/presidents-environmental-youth-award
- The Gloria Barron Prize for Young Heroes celebrates inspiring, public-spirited young people from diverse backgrounds all across North America. Established in 2001 by author T.A. Barron, the Barron Prize annually honors 25 outstanding young leaders ages 8 to 18 who have made a significant positive impact on people, their communities, and the environment. http://barronprize.org/apply/
Environmental Scholarships for High School students
- RBSP competitively awards Ron Brown Scholars four-year $40,000 scholarships ($10,000 each year) to the most talented and economically-challenged high school seniors who demonstrate a keen interest in public service, community engagement, business entrepreneurship and global citizenship – the four pillars of the late Ronald H. Brown’s mission to uplift people of all races, cultures and ethnicities – especially our disadvantaged youth https://www.ronbrown.org/section/apply/program-description
- The Justin Carl Holman Memorial Award for Youth Environmental Leadership – This $1,000 scholarship honors the memory of College Bound student and environmental activist Justin Carl Holman. It preserves his legacy of conservation and environmental justice by recognizing a current College Bound senior who shares his passion for the environment. http://collegebound.org/scholarships/
Environmental Scholarships for college/ graduate students
- Annie’s sustainable agricultural scholarshipsOpen to undergraduate or graduate students studying organic and/or sustainable agriculture.http://www.annies.com/doing-more/agricultural-scholarships
- National Gardens Club offers financial aid to students majoring in fields of study related to horticulture and the environment. Applicant must be planning a career related to gardening, landscape design, environmental issues, floral design or horticulture. The State Garden Club also has scholarship opportunities.http://www.gardenclub.org/scholarships/
- AASHE Sustainability Awards- Open to institutions and individuals that are leading higher education to a sustainable future. The awards program provides a vehicle for the higher education community to celebrate outstanding achievements and progress toward sustainability.http://www.aashe.org/about/aashe-awards
- The Association on American Indian Affairs (AAIA) hosts several college and graduate level scholarships on their website. Some that have a focus on pursuing a degree in public health or science degree.https://www.indian-affairs.org/scholarships.html
- Brown and Caldwell Minority Scholarship The firm offers a $5,000 Minority Scholarship to support students who identify as minorities and are interested in pursuing a career in the environmental profession.http://www.brownandcaldwell.com/Scholarships.asp?id=1
- Udall Undergraduate Scholarship by The Udall Foundation awards roughly 60 scholarships to college sophomores and juniors for leadership, public service, and commitment to issues related to Native American nations or to the environment up to $7,000.http://www.udall.gov/OurPrograms/Scholarship/Scholarship.aspx
- The Switzer Fellowship is granted to exceptional graduate students—10 in New England and 10 in California—who exhibit a promising future in environmental improvement and leadership. Winners get a one-year $15,000 cash prize, networking opportunities, and support to help foster their growth as environmental professionals
- The National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) and the American Academy of Sanitarians (AAS) have established education in environmental health (EH) as one of their principle goals. They have established undergraduate and graduate scholarships to help students pursue and environmental career. Learn more at http://www.neha.org/professional-development/students/scholarship#sthash.dCdfb9hg.dpuf
Learn about even more opportunities through special guests and events in our Seeds for Change program!